Resources for Landowners
Is there any funding available to control invasive plants on my land?
- In Bloomington, the Housing and Neighborhood Development (HAND) program oversees the 'Small & Simple Grant to Control Invasive Plant Species (SSCIPS). Grants of up to $500 annually are available to neighborhood groups within the Bloomington city limits. More Information Here
- The Monroe County SWCD is providing cost share funds up to $2,000 for invasive control through the Stormwater Partnership Grant for lands in Monroe County outside the city limit. More Information Here
- Funds may be available through the EQIP program of the Natural Resource Conservation Service. More Information Here
What is the best way to control invasive plants?
- Use the Invasive Plant Species drop down menu on the blue toolbar to find detailed control methods for the species you want to control
- Calendar of Control - This is a simple guide with instructions on controlling a variety of invasive plants in Monroe County, including method and timing.
- Herbicide Safety Guide - this summarizes the basics of mixing and using herbicide safely.
- Invasive Plant Resources contains information sources on-line and locally for both identifying and controlling invasive plants.
- This Take Control presentation is a powerpoint show that covers how to identify 14 common invasive plants in Monroe County and describes the control techniques you can use on them.
- This Take Control video is a recorded presentation of the above powerpoint show.
- Check out the MC-IRIS Youtube Channel to find our seasonal Weed Lab videos, which focus on how to identify and control invasive plants in spring (Flowering Fiends), summer (Midsummer Marauders), fall (Autumn Awfuls), and winter (Vicious Villains)
I'm up to my ears in invasive plants! How do I decide where to start?
- This document provides advice and guidance on how to prioritize your invasive control efforts. Where Do I Start?! Prioritizing Invasive Plant Control
I need more help! Are there contractors who will control invasive plants on my land?
- Yes! You can find information about contracting invasive plant control and a directory of contractors at Invasive Plant Control Contractors
How do I report invasive species in EDDMapS?
- EDDMapS is the best place to report invasive plants. Once you set up a profile at EDDMapS.org, here are instructions on how to do that on a mobile device.
How do I get my neighbors to start controlling invasive plants?
- Tips on how to organize your neighbors to fight invasive plants together can be found at Organize Your Neighborhood to Control Invasive Plants!
What are the new invasive plants coming in to Indiana?
- The Keep a Lookout Flyer has information on new invasive plants in the Midwest.
How do I know what plant species are invasive in Indiana?
- The official invasive plant list for Indiana can be found at Indiana Invasive Plant List
Does MC-IRIS have a brochure?
- Yes, we do! More information about the Monroe County - Identify and Reduce Invasive Species group can be found at MC-IRIS Brochure